Application are invited for the post of Archivist at NCBS, Bangalore
Job Description: They are expected to be adept at the following roles. But we completely understand an applicant might not check all these boxes. So, you know what, just read on, check out the questionnaire. And apply if you think you are a good fit, or have better ideas on what this centre should be doing.
• Expanding accessions at the Archives at NCBS to reflect its objectives as a public collecting centre for the history of science in contemporary India. Manage the end-to-end archival process, from sourcing, appraising and accessioning, to arrangement, preservation and access.
• Applying archival standards for arrangement, description, conservation and preservation: Integrating global archival standards into the framework of the Archives at NCBS, both in the physical collections and their digital reproductions.
• Developing and applying transparent standards of access.
• Supervision and coordination, both of archival accessions from across India, and of 1 – 2 staff members and interns.
• Manage and conduct oral history interviews as part of the process of collecting tangible archival material.
• Proficiency with all things digital, and/or willingness to pick skills up. Manage and operate open source archival catalog management systems like ArchivesSpace and AtoM and digital preservation management systems like Archivematica. Work in coordination with a software architect in the team at the Archives at NCBS.
• Public engagement activities of Archives at NCBS: As part of team at NCBS, coordinate public lecture series, exhibition space, visitor tours, seminars and workshops. Coordinate (and operate/delegate) social media and email communication from the Archives at NCBS.
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to present research work to peers and the public.