Science Education and Communication Coordinator
IndiaBioscience and the Azim Premji University partner towards publishing biology related content in a science magazine (I wonder) aimed at primary and secondary school teachers. The Coordinator will liaison between the two organisations, to perform the following roles:.
- Identifying a theme for the biology section of the magazine and topics for specific articles.
- Contacting potential authors and reviewers from within and outside the IndiaBioscience network and sourcing articles as per the magazine’s guidelines.
- Coordinating with contributors and reviewers and connecting scientists from the IndiaBioscience network to the magazine Editor.
- Creating and popularising the initiative among the IndiaBioscience network.
- Providing assistance to the editorial team with communication with authors, and ensuring completion of the articles with images and edits.
The roles of the Coordinator with respect to the magazine will be in the capacity of Associate or Consulting Editor, or as a member of the Editorial Board.
In addition to these, the Coordinator will work with the IndiaBioscience team to create and maintain a network of educators/researchers and organisations within India. The Coordinator will also be expected to work with other Education initiatives of IndiaBioscience including creating web content and organising meetings. The person will also participate in all other events organised by IndiaBioscience as required.
- PhD or Masters in Biological Sciences. If Masters, then the candidate must have experience in science communication and/or education.
- Experience with education initiatives, or the interest to do so.
- Past experience with science communication, either verbal or written, for any kind of audience (technical, public, education sector).
- Knowledge of data collection, curating and handling, and using databases, excel.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Networking skills.
- Ability to understand and translate scientific concepts into lay terms.
- Familiarity with social and digital media or willingness to learn.
This is a full-time position, and the Coordinator will be based out of IndiaBioscience, NCBS, Bangalore. She/He will be required to start work at the earliest. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
IndiaBioscience is a program based out of NCBS, Bangalore that aims to catalyse the growth of biology within India, and to this end we work with academics, government, industry and the not-for-profit sector. We are a small yet diverse and efficient team that works in a non-hierarchical manner to create informed impact. Creativity and independence are highly valued attributes of all team members.
Submit your application via email to hello[at]indiabioscience[dot]org with the phrase “SEC Coordinator Position” in the subject line.
Please attach a cover letter, resume and any additional materials. Make sure you include a strong statement of your interests, how they align with ours and why you will fit this position. Please provide names of two referees, who we will contact for character reference, should you get through to the interview stage. At this point we require no recommendation letters. Provide links to a sample of popular published material (not scientific publications) in your resume, or attach these as pdf files in your application.
For more information click here.