SERB — POWER (Promoting Opportunities For Women in Exploratory Research) program is formulated to mitigate gender disparity in science and engineering research funding in various S&T programs in Indian academic institutions and R&D Laboratories. SERB — POWER is specially designed to provide structured effort toward enhanced diversity in research to ensure equal access and weighted opportunities for Indian women scientists engaged in research and development activities.
This scheme aims to encourage emerging and eminent women researchers for an individual-centric and competitive mode of research funding to undertake R&D activities in frontier areas of science and engineering.
- Applicants [Principal Investigator (PI) and Co-Principal Investigator(s)(Co-PI(s))] should be Indian citizens.
- The Applicant(s) must hold a regular academic/research position in a recognized academic institution or national laboratory or in any other recognized R&D institution in India .
- Applicants from IITs, IISERs, IISc, NITs, Central Universities, and National Labs of Central Government Institutions will be considered under Level I category, whereas applicants from State Universities/Colleges and Private Academic Institutions should apply under Level II category.
- POWER Grant will be regulated through terms of reference confirming to SERB-CRG guidelines.
- The selection will be based on the recommendations of Program Advisory Committee (PAC) constituted by the Board. If required, the applicants may be called for discussion/presentation.
- SERB POWER grant will be regulated through terms of reference conforming to SERB CRG guidelines except sharing of 50 % non- recurring cost by National Laboratories and Research Institutions.
- Woman scientists can not hold POWER Fellowship and POWER Grant at the same time.
- Faculties recruited through UGC-Faculty Recharge Program are eligible to apply. INSPIRE Faculty, Ramanujan and Ramalingaswamy Fellows are also eligible to apply provided they have at least three and half years of tenure remaining at the time of submission of application.
- There is a mandatory requirement for female CO-PI from the same institute.
- Male CO-PI is not allowed in POWER Grant Research Scheme.
- PhD guide cannot be CO-PI.
- PIs who have already got a POWER Grant, are not allowed to apply again in POWER Grant Scheme.
- JC Bose fellows and the PIs who have already completed two CRG are not allowed to apply for POWER Grant Research Scheme.
- The number of CO-PIs should not exceed two per project.
- The budget under the equipment head is limited to not more than Rs. 14 lakh for Tier II institutions (30 lakh limit).