TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme
The World Academy of Sciences
- TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Fellowships are tenable in the departments, institutions and laboratories of theUniversiti Sains Malaysia (USM) for a minimum period of twelve (12) months to a maximum period of three years and are awarded to young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) to enable them to pursue advanced research in the natural sciences.
- USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food.
- The language of instruction is English.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia);
- must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country;
- hold a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- apply for the fellowship within five years of having obtained a PhD degree in a field of the natural sciences;
- be regularly employed in a developing country (other than Malaysia) and hold a research assignment there;
- provide an official Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM to TWAS. Requests for preliminary acceptance letters must be directed to the Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies, USM who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. In contacting the Dean applicants must accompany their request for a Preliminary Acceptance Letter with copy of their latest CV, certified true copy of Bachelor, Master and PhD degree certificates, referee letters and a summary proposal, via email to Prof. Othman Sulaiman: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org;
- provide evidence of proficiency in English;
- be financially responsible for any accompanying family member.
- The deadline for receipt of applications to TWAS is 15 September of each year.
- Applicants must submit the Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM when applying to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest. Therefore, please apply for the Preliminary Acceptance Letter to the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USMwell before 15 September. Without preliminary acceptance letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters: Referees must send signed letters as attachment via e‑mail directly to TWAS and USM. The subject line must contain: USM/ PDoc/the candidate’s surname. Alternatively, letters should be sent by post in sealed envelopes. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Applicants to the TWAS-USM Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS and USM (by email).