SERB-IRHPA National Biosafety Level 3 (BSL 3 / ABSL 3) Facilities
Science and Engineering Research Board
Establishing SERB National Biosafety Level (BSL 3 / ABSL 3) infrastructure facilities for handling infectious pathogens, build capacity to provide support for programmes of national priority and provide surge capacity to respond expeditiously to epidemics / pandemics.
- Public funded national research institutes/labs, Universities, Institutes of National importance or established by the Act of Parliament can submit the application. It will be coordinated by a single institution and the PI must have at least 10 years of active service remaining at the time of submission of application.
- The applicant must establish a regional cluster of not less than 5 institutions with the public and private sector that promises advanced research cooperation. The cluster should include at least one government hospital or a hospital with DSIR/SIRO recognition. The investigator from hospitals should mandatorily have clinical expertise in the field of medical microbiology and infectious diseases / virology /epidemiology / medical pathology.
- The applicant must have demonstrated capacity and capability to meet regional (multi-state, multi-institutional) research needs by the way of handling independent and collaborative projects at the national or international level involving pathogens.
- Institute and applicant must be in compliance with Indian laws and regulations of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), Department of Biotechnology and Ministry of Science and Technology etc. concerning BSL facilities.
PI should have at least 5 years of working experience in BSL 2 facility and worked on infectious pathogens, as evident from high quality publications/patents. PIs having trained in BSL3/ABSL3/BSL4 facilities and well versed in biosafety protocols / guidelines / SOPS will be a desirable additional qualification.
The applicants will be required to submit the following items along with their proposals:
- Existence of an institutional biosafety committee, registration with RCGM, designated biosafety officer and/or health safety officer besides having Institutional animal ethics committee and/or human ethics committee.
- BSL3/ABSL3 unit organizational structure with responsibilities.
- Topographic data (including seismic data and other pertinent information).
- Pilot drawings showing possible arrangement of space. Conceptual designs and schematic designs, including proposed movement of workers and materials.
- Project Milestones and schedule.
- Facility creation cost estimates.
- Future research plans for any national emergency.
- Institutional commitment
For more details click here