Vector surveillance is an essential component of vector-borne disease prevention. Dengue is the most common mosquito-borne viral infection mainly transmitted by Aedes mosquitoes. Dengue has been associated with an increase in urbanisation and availability of larval habitat. Using citizen science-based approach, this study aims to understand the role of urbanisation in driving the prevalence and abundance in Aedes mosquito larval habitats and their relationship with dengue incidence.
Roles and Responsibility
This role is an excellent opportunity to make a difference in the field of disease ecology and connecting with people.
- Science: To help with study design for a longitudinal study for dengue and mosquito surveillance.
- Networking: The role is to build collaboration between local health services, public health office and local community to contribute to mosquito surveillance efforts with TIGS.
- Capacity building: To engage with schools and educational institutes providing participants with basic training as well as educational materials on mosquito biology and disease transmission.
- Fieldwork: To train and conduct surveys with other researchers.
- Data handling: Data analyses and interpretation and giving feedback to community about the findings.
- Writing: Preparation of manuscripts and publication.
Initially for a year based and extendable upon satisfactory review.
As per norms of institute.
- a doctoral degree biology, life-sciences or related discipline or equivalent
- experience with ecology-based studies, solid understanding of ecology, evolution, and epidemiological issues
- good understanding of study design, data collection and data analysis
- proficiency in statistical analysis using R programming
- motivated about publishing science and connecting with amateurs
- ability to work both as part of a team, and independently, coupled with excellent
- communication, organizational and problem-solving skills are required
If you are interested in applying for this research position:
Please send the following documents, with a clear reference to the job number listed above, and addressed to the following email address: email@example.com
i) Cover letter ‑defining your goals, what motivates you about this job and how do you fit in this role
ii) CV with email, phone and contact information of 3 referees
Emails with only CV attached will NOT be considered.