The Pratiksha Trust, a charitable organization, founded by Dr. Kris Gopalakrishnan (Chairman, Axilor Ventures and Co-Founder, Infosys) and Mrs. Sudha Gopalakrishnan, has embarked on an exemplary initiative to fully fund EMSTAR (Extra-Mural Support for Transformational Aging Brain Research).
The EMSTAR program will support cutting-edge research aimed at advancing the understanding of normal and pathological aging of the brain on the themes outlined below. The Centre for Brain Research (CBR) will play a facilitatory role to coordinate this program with the expert help of external committees of distinguished researchers.
- To be eligible to compete for funding, the proposal must fall under one or more of the following areas of research:
- Understanding dementia from molecular, cellular, and systems standpoints
- Longitudinal cohort studies in rural and urban India to study the aging brain
- Artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data science approaches to decipher normal and pathological aging of the brain
- The role of hitherto less explored systems and approaches, such as the gut microbiome, in neurodegeneration, with a focus on dementia
- Immunity-nervous system crosstalk in the context of neurodegeneration, particularly dementia.