“Research Essentials” is an intense two-day program primarily for researchers who are pursuing their Master’s or Doctoral degrees and professionals alike. The course is framed in a such way as to guide both early career researchers and researchers submitting their thesis. The revised and re-designed programme deals with research essentials only with the goal of enabling participants with fundamentals of research and ways to go about carrying out independent research. It will go through aspects of defining the research; literature review; framing the objectives and questions; hypothesis testing, brief overview of statistical methods; and conclude with writing and presentation skills. The course will provide hands-on exposure to some of the tools like Freemind and Mendeley for research essentials.
- Session 1: The Research Enterprise
- Session 2: Framing the research objectives and questions
- Session 3: Review of a few key Research Papers
- Session 4: Literature Review and Ways of Gathering Information
- Session 5: Managing References and Working with Mendeley
- Session 6: Getting the basics right: overview of hypothesis testing and statistical methods
- Session 7: Presenting your research: Writing and Presentation Skills
- Session 8: Group Work and Run-down of the Research process
Tools exposed: Freemind (mindmapping tool) and Mendeley
Participants are highly encouraged that they bring their own laptop.
Faculty: The course will be led by Dr. H. S. Sudhira and Dr. K. V. Gururaja.
Eligibility: This program is open to participants from any domain and not limited to engineering, sciences, ecology and social sciences. Participation is limited to 20 applicants.
Charges:Rs. 4,000 per participant. Charges include study material and food with refreshments on both days. Travel to and fro has to be borne by the participants.
Application/Registration: Interested participants are encouraged to register online here. Candidates will be short-listed first on the basis of their application. For more details, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The organisers reserve the right of admission.