EMBO | IndiaBioscience Online Seminars
A successful scientific career requires many skills that go beyond the topics taught in a scientific curriculum. In our shared commitment to promoting life sciences, EMBO and IndiaBioscience have joined efforts to bring to the scientific community in India online seminars to update and practice soft skills, which include communication, grant writing, publishing and scientific integrity. Our trainings are tailored specifically to the needs of researchers at early career stages and aim at improving both the quality and the quantity of research output in the medium and long term. We launched this initiative in April 2020.
EMBO | IndiaBioscience Grant Writing Workshop
In this Grant Writing workshop, we set forth to impart to late-stage PhDs and Postdoctoral fellows the skills required to write a successful fellowship/grant application.
The workshop consists of two independent parts: an open Webinar 1 (registration needed to attend) + a closed Webinar 2 (attendance is application based).
A more detailed overview of the two webinars is provided below.
Webinar 1: Fundamentals of Writing Effective Grant and Fellowship Applications
Through the exploration of theory and examples, this webinar aims to help participants (to):
• understand different types of grants (personal- vs. project-affiliated, collaborations, starter vs. consolidator) and how the type of grant can affect selection criteria
• understand how to find international calls for grants and fellowships
• identify and approach potential host laboratories
• develop a competitive research plan (operationalizing research questions, and aligning goals and work packages into a coherent story)
• structure the research project in a more “fundable” way (feasibility, milestones, contingency plans, preliminary data)
• understand and respond effectively to typical parts of a grant application (visualizability, conciseness, opportune repetition)
• assess one’s own proposal like a grant reviewer
• collaborate with the host laboratory to meet application deadlines
Webinar 2: Advanced Topics in Grant Writing (attendance requires formal application)
This webinar will explore in greater depth the topics discussed in Webinar 1, adapted to the research fields and methods in the example grant proposals (in the form of assignment) submitted by the selected participants.
There are two ways by which one can participate in this workshop:
i. Only attend Webinar 1 — This is an open session and the participant only needs to register to attend the Webinar 1.
Note: Limited seats available.
ii. Attend the entire workshop and get a certificate — This is a certification workshop which consists of two webinars and an assignment. Anyone who fulfills the eligibility criteria and wishes to attend this certification workshop needs to submit a completed application before 26 May 2020, 5:30 PM IST (details are available below). The workshop attendees will be selected by a peer-reviewed application process. Participants who complete the entire workshop (2 webinars + an assignment) will be awarded a certificate from EMBO and IndiaBioscience.